AAI Minority Affairs Committee: Careers Roundtable and Speed Networking Session
Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh; AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
Networking skills have never been more crucial to ensure success for early/mid-career scientists, including those traditionally under-represented in biomedical research. At the roundtable, take advantage of the opportunity to meet in small-group format with accomplished, senior immunologists to hear how they have handled the career challenges you now face and learn what they believe will work for you today. Then, practice networking in a relaxed environment offering a structured networking exercise and personalized feedback on communicating your scientific interests/objectives most effectively. Scientists and trainees of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend! Registration Fee: $30 (Includes lunch plus coffee during networking hour.)
Discussion topics and table leaders:
- Grad Student: finding a mentor, setting sights on postdoc training
- Table Leaders: Luis A. Sanchez-Perez, Duke Univ.; Tonya Webb, Univ. of Maryland; Adriana Larregina, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Elina Zúñiga, Univ. of California, San Diego
- Postdoc: finding a mentor, setting sights on a faculty position
- Table Leaders: Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, Ohio State Univ.; Eduardo Davila, Univ. of Maryland; Tyler Curiel, Univ. of Texas Health Sci. Ctr., San Antonio
- Junior Faculty: preparing for promotion and tenure
- Table Leaders: Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Floyd Wormley, Univ. of Texas, San Antonio; Jose R. Conejo-Garcia, Wistar Inst.
- —New!— Work-life balance, it’s real!
- Table Leader: Claudia Jakubzick, Natl. Jewish Hlth.
- Academia or Industry: how to decide (or switch sides)
- Table Leaders: Jonathan A. Deane, GNF/Novartis; Homero Sepulveda, Thermo Fisher Scientific; Cherié Butts, Biogen
- Government Agency Careers:
- Table Leaders: Charles Egwuagu, NEI, NIH; Jennifer Martinez, NIEHS, NIH
- Non-Bench-Research Science Careers – e.g., entrepreneurship/research technology; intellectual property/patent law; non-profits/foundations
- Table Leaders: Robert Balderas, BD Biosciences (research technology); Edwin Flores, Chalker Flores LLP (intellectual property law); Thandi Onami, Gates Fndn. (non-profits/foundations); James Lillard, Morehouse Sch. of Med. and JYANT Technologies (entrepreneurship)